Wednesday, December 5, 2007

PLn-24

Columbine; a tragic memory in many of our minds. Though I was very young, and my family disinclined to let me watch the news discussing it; I remember the look on my sisters' faces as they watch the horrors of what happened that day unveiled in the news. I remember going to school and having a moment of silence for the 12 students (most of which were later buried in the cemetery across from my school) and 1 teacher who were killed. In Teacher arrested for pro-Columbine blog post from CNN, James Buss did not view the shooting as a tragedy. Rather, he celebrated the men who caused so much hurt, and so much death that sad day.

This article relates to the world because, since then, many other school shootings have happened, to me, (and my opinion may be bias due to he fact that Columbine was from my own district) Columbine was the most tragic. So many lives were lost. Innocent students who had nothing to do with the troubles of the teens who murdered 13 people before taking their own lives. Whenever a school shooting occurs, the reminder of what happened at Columbine is brought up. Every school shooting since then has had headlines and contain phrases like "Another Columbine" or "A Columbine-Like Attack". Columbine affected the world, even if all it did was give reporters a more interesting headline.

This article relates to me because, though, as I stated earlier, I was not very informed on the subject as a child, the memory of the discussion we had at school that day still haunts me. I remember getting out of the car that morning and seeing my sister's eyes well up as she drove away. Every year, as we sit in our classrooms respectfully in that moment of silence, I think about what happened at Columbine so many years before. I was barely old enough to understand what was happening, but my sisters, being much older than me, understood all of it. I remember walking into their room and seeing candles lit, and my sisters siting on the floor, praying for peace for the families of the students and teacher who were killed.

12 students and 1 teacher lost their lives that day. James buss, being a teacher himself, should have had more respect for the poor souls who were so cruelly taken that day. "They knew how to deal with the overpaid teacher union thugs. One shot at a time!" he stated in his post. They teacher who reported Buss sad she was disturbed by that last sentence, "One shot at a time,". I too find it utterly disgusting that a teacher would celebrate the deaths of so many innocent people. That a teacher would practically say "good for you!" to the men who caused so much hurt for so many shocks me.

Many opposed arresting Buss. They stood behind the First Amendment. However, one police captain, Toby Netko said, "What happens when you say 'bomb' in an airport? That's free speech, isn't it?" he said. "And people are taken into custody for that all the time." Perhaps Buss' post was not so dangerous that he should be arrested, but what he said was outrageous, and the fact that anyone would celebrate such a terrible thing disgusts me.

4 comments:

seanb said...

Averee, nice job presening. You need to have a clearer voice and look at your audience some more. Try and relate some of your stories to yourself and maybe make them a little happier there is some good in the world somewhere

DennisRocks said...

Averee, you did a great job with your presentation, yet you sounded slightly bored. I agreed with what you were discussing, but next time, SPEAK up. Other than that, good job!

seand said...

Averee, good job on your presentation. You spoke pretty clearly but you looked at your notes a lot.

mmg said...

Averee, you did a great job on your presentation. You should look at the audiance instead of the note cards, but overall you did a great job.