Sunday, December 9, 2007

PLN-25

With seven babies coming in within twelve hours of each other, Ochsner Medical Center was a busy place last Tuesday. In First triplets, then quadruplets from CNN.com, Pamela Kocke and Alisha Murphy gave birth to healthy babies on Tuesday, December 4Th.

This article relates to me because, even though there are no triplets, or quadruplets in my family, I thought it was absolutely amazing that seven babies could be born to two mothers with only twelve hours between the two of them. I was also delighted by the fact that all of the babies were born naturally, especially when the odds of naturally born triplets is about one in 8,000. Both the Murphy and Kocke babies were born within 5 weeks of the 37 weeks that is considered full term, which I thought was really great.

This article relates to the world because, triplets and quadruplets are very rare, and when all three (or four) are born healthy and naturally, I consider it to be a miracle. All of the babies were born between 3 to 4 pounds, a healthy weight for premature babies. With all of our technology, the doctors who helped deliver Alisha's quadruplets and Pamela's triplets are very confident that the babies will do just fine.

I was so happy to hear that all of the babies were born healthy, as my sister had a baby a few years ago, and even one baby was a stretch for her. So many premature babies are unhealthy and barely 2 pounds, but all of the Kocke boys and Murphy girls were born with a reasonable weight for premature babies. C-sections are uncomfortable for mothers to recover from, but so many doctors lean towards them nowadays. I realize this may not seem like the most important news, but I was so happy that all of these babies were born healthy and naturally, and in a few weeks, they will go home to loving happy families.

No comments: