Monday, May 5, 2008

PLN 14

Today I read through posts on The Fischbowl, I found one that truly interested me. It talked about Darren Draper, who posted on his own blog about teachers, and how they can improve their class and the students' experience. I commented on Darren's blog, Drape's Takes and here is what I said:

Darren,
Every student looks forward to the more exciting classes in their schedule. As a student, I will admit that even I sit through certain classes, waiting hopefully for the next. This can have an enormously negative affect on our learning. Students who zone out, wondering what next hour with “the fun teacher” will be like are less likely to retain what they learn. The way the teacher, well, teaches can have a big affect on this. A teacher who is not willing to learn is guaranteed to have students who will refuse to do so either. I have been the student who is bored out of their mind, waiting for the blessed ring of the bell. I know how hard it is to sit through that class. A teacher who is open to new ideas is the type of teacher who has passing students. It is no mystery that students who take drama, art, and music classes have better grades. They have more opportunities to learn, because their teachers make the classes fun and exciting. Teachers who take an active interest in their teaching have students who do the same for their learning. My English teacher often has guests in her classes, and though we students don’t necessarily see the affects of it, it helps her come up with fun, new ideas to help us learn our material. U.S. History has never been my favorite class, but the teacher seeks new, exciting way to teach the material, which makes sitting through the class immensely more enjoyable. Perhaps I am just rambling, but it was refreshing to see someone confront the challenges that so many teachers face in their classrooms.
-AvereeL

I have linked back to Darren's blog (Becoming A Better Teacher ) and suggest checking it out to see for yourself what he says.

No comments: